Trombenik’s musicians brought their fascination with klezmer music into one band in 2001.
However, each of them had a previous experience from bands playing genres very different from klezmer. Under Trombenik’s mask you could find face of a rocker, folk musician, medival troubadour, alternative or pop-funky musician, or an ethno admirer in one.
Their colorful musical past therefore keeps influencing the direction that the whole band takes. Klezmer songs were played by Jewish musicians in Eastern Europe, who brought their heritage to North America as well, mostly at the turn of 19th and 20th centuries. Trombenik spices these tunes up with jazz, Balkan spirit, Gypsy effervescence, Latin American rhythm and rock drive, and arches the music over with ethnical essence.
Trombenik klezmers (how Jewish musicians used to be called in the past) played for audiences not only in Prague, Czech cities and villages, in Moravia but also abroad. They take pride in playing on large stages of musical festivals and concert halls but very gratefully enjoy atmosphere in small clubs. One time they are part of serious musical events, other times they make people dance cheerfully at weddinngs. Nonetheless, Muses also blessed them with opportunity to play on theatre scene.
Distictive sound of the band comprises five instruments: clarinet, violin, banjo, double bass and drums. Songs are sung in immigrant-accented English and Yiddish.
What we listen to:
- Die Grine Kuzine
- The Klezmatics
- Budapester Klezmer Band
- San Severino
- Mc Kinney´s cotton pickers
Karel Bělohradský double bass
Josef von Dráček
Festivals we performed on
- United Islands of Prague 2004
- Febiofest Praha 2004, 2005, 2010
- Festival Šamajim v Třebíči 2005, 2011
- Divadelní léto Sopoty – Polsko 2005,2006,2013
- Festival 9 bran 2003, 2004, 2005 ,2009
- Babylonfest Brno 2009
- Festival židovské kultury Warszawa Singera- Polsko 2009
- Boskovice – festival pro židovskou čtvrť – 2010
- Ferrara Buskers Festival – Itálie 2010
- Kazimierz Dolny-festiwal Muzyki Klezmerskiej – Polsko 2011
- Febiofest Pardubice 2011
- Šaĺa – Colourfest – Slovensko – 2011
- Kremnica – festival Kremnické gagy – 2013
- Kodaň – Dánsko -Mezinárodní Festival židovské kultury – 2015
Theatres in which we performed
- Divadlo Na prádle – „Sphil zhe mir a lidele in jidish“, premiéra 2005
- Melodram Autointerviev Josef Marka s Dalimilem Klapkou a Trombenikem -sál Martinů Praha